Brant County has experienced rapid population growth (2016 population: 36,000) primarily in the urban areas of Paris and St. George. GSP Group prepared a Recreation Master Plan as a key part of planning for a forecast 2041 population of 57,000.
While future growth is focused within two primary urban areas, the County’s overall population, recreation facilities, parks and trails are distributed across a wide geographic area surrounding Brantford.
Many of the County’s residents live close to other larger urban areas including Hamilton, Cambridge and Kitchener-Waterloo. Geographic service levels, regional context and inter-municipal recreational opportunities and influences were important factors in the recreational needs assessment.
The master plan is supported by a detailed implementation schedule identifying recommended timing, resourcing, and order of magnitude capital costs for future projects and initiatives. County Council accepted the Master Plan in July 2017.
Community and stakeholder consultation provided areas of focus for recommendations and directions.
Several key themes were identified, including the following:
- Re-positioning the Syl Apps Community Centre and Two-Rivers Stadium ball diamond as an indoor-outdoor multi-use community hub and river access point in Downtown Paris;
- Developing a municipal gymnasium space to create indoor multi-use recreational facilities;
- Developing strategies for public access to the Grand River and enhancing County-owned access points;
- Preparing a parks and playgrounds renewal and rehabilitation program;
- Preparing an updated trails plan integrating on-road pedestrian and cycling facilities and the recreational trails system;
- Developing facilities for enhanced tourism and special events integration within parks; and,
- Acquisition and management of natural areas.
Other Recreation and Trails Projects
Business Plan for Three Future Indoor Recreation Facilities, Brant County
Strathroy-Caradoc Parks and Recreation Master Plan
Orangeville Parks Master Plan
Bracebridge Recreation, Parks and Trails Master Plan
Fort Erie Parks and Open Space Master Plan